Monday 30 July 2018

2018 Windsor 5k Recap

Boy....has this race grown in size!!!  The first year I ran this race, I think there were a total of 99 people running....this year 230, with over 30 people completing it in under 20 minutes...that's fast!

Why the growth?  I'm not sure.  I know that there was a change in race directors and a change in course.  The course used to be quite hilly, and now it's flat...lightning fast.  The race director is a fast runner herself, and works with a local run club and track club...I think both of these help bring more awareness to the race.

Driving to the race, it was foggy and drizzly...and humid.  I was good with the drizzle!  Wouldn't you know, 5km from the race highway exit, the sun broke through.  You little bugger...couldn't the fog have stayed around for another hour???

At 9am we lined up at the start line:
The course went up a slight incline, and ran through the town for the first 1.5km.  It then ran out around a small lake to the edge of town.  This was so beautiful and kept my mind off how much I was hurting.  The sun had hidden behind some clouds, but it was still so hot and humid.    I was staying on my race plan with laps of 5:27, 5:24, 5:22...and then I started to fade with 5:37 and 5:37 (so much for negative splits).  At about 4.2km I actually stopped and walked for about 30 seconds.  Did I have to?  Probably not but the heat/humidity mentally got to me...I felt drained!  I ended up with a 27.32 finish time which isn't a season best.  That darn walk cost me...isn't that always the case!


This is a face of someone who
just wanted the finish line and had
no idea there was a camera
The race was very well run and organized.  There were awards given after the race and snacks for all.  After catching my breath, the BLT Runners gathered for a picture.
The medals given out where made of wood and etched with the race logo and local running club name!
A tshirt, a medal, and reception for under $40.
Excellent value right there!
I would recommend this race for anyone.  The course is flat and fast...so whether you are trying for a personal best, or just starting out, this is a race to put on your list!!  Oh and be sure to smile at the finish...there is bound to be a camera person somewhere!  Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment