Saturday 28 July 2018

Nissan VP Challenge Race Review

This race took place in the beautiful Victoria Park in Truro, NS. 

Apparently we ran past the waterfall....I was too busy watching my footing
I had zero idea what to expect from this race.  Tracey had convinced me to sign up for the 10k...she said it's the same price as the 5k, why not?  Why not?  Cause we really should have looked at the elevation gain...that's why!!
We met up with some of our 'crew'.  It was nice to meet some folks in person that I usually only chat with on line!
There were only a handful of us that lined up for the 10k.  The course was a 2 loop course of the 5k...which was going to come in super handy when I decided to bail...but let me describe the course first.

The race starts off on a washed out trail going up...and it continues going up.  This particular day, I was the person running next to Tracey that was breathing very loudly.  Tracey would try to encourage me and say "Look, it's leveling out."  Ya....good try...it wasn't.  We went from washed out trail, to grass, to crushed gravel...all the while going up, up and up.  The course was marked to perfection inside the park...large white arrows on the ground plus signs kept us on course.  In this park, the downhill was one of two things (a) steep downhill over roots, or stairs.  Neither could you run fast as you had to watch your footing.  The stairs were steep and narrow.  There were points that we walked up the inclines...sometimes steep enough that my hands were on my quads willing them to keep going!  I could make up some time on the limited flat parts of the course...but there weren't many.
You can't find fault with a race that has these views on the course
And then we hit Jacob's Ladder at about 4.2km.  This is just evil.  178 steps straight up.  I immediately started walking 2 steps at a time.  By 1/2 way, I had switched to walking single steps in a fast manner as my quads and calf muscles screamed at me!
At this point I said to Tracey, I am bailing at 5k.  I had been in the hospital the weekend before, and wanted to save my legs for my 5k race the next weekend.  Tracey decided to continue and finish the 10k...she is a sucker for punishment.

Because I had started with the 10k, but cut it short...I was the first one to come through the finish.  Everyone was clapping and I was like "Noooooo.....I kind of cheated".  LOL  The end of the race had a mud pit you had to crawl through as the firemen put the hose to you.

Right before the mud pit

Never too old for a bit of mud, right?
I crossed the finish line in a little over 38 minutes, not bad considering all the hills we ran.  The only complaint was that the area where the tires and mudpit were located was not well marked.  I'm hoping they improve that for future years.  The race wasn't that well attended but was well organized and I hope continues in the future. I'd like to do it again next year but do some extra training to help manage the elevation changes!!  The race started right in Victoria Park which is extremely kid friendly for anyone wanting to bring the whole family!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment