Friday 17 January 2014

The Power of Positive Thinking

- I can't go any further
- I'm too slow
- I'll never catch up
- I'll never reach that pace or go that distance
- I have no muscle
- I could never eat/drink/do that

We've all said them...admit it.  We've all had negative thoughts shoot through our minds.  Whether you are just starting out or are a seasoned veteran, at some point negativity has reared it's ugly head...and it has won.  Plan and simple, you became defeated and a vicious cycle happened.
 
I'm here to say SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!  As a gymnastics coach for many years, the words "I can't" would send shivers down my spine.  I would say over and over, change those words to "I will try" and before you know it, those words will become "I can."
 
Self doubt happens to all of us but the key is to recognize it and squash it before it takes over.  The power of positive thinking really does work!
How do you incorporate it into your training??  Come up with a mantra, a saying that gets you through those tough times.  For example, when I don't think I could possibly put one foot in front of the other because my legs feel like tree trunks, I say "Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever."  This reminds me that some things are surmountable. (know the difference between pain, pain and just stupid pain).  I also have a go-to song that I will blast on repeat that pushes me when I feel like walking.  A quick search on google for running mantras give you thousands of examples....some of my favorites are:
  • Run Fast, go Past
  • One mile at a time
  • It's not easier, you're better
  • The faster you run, the faster you're done.
  • Completing is Succeeding
  • All miles are good miles
You can check out this site from Runner's World to help you make you own.   Who has a mantra?  Share it with me! 
 
 
Above mantra's and songs, have a support system...be it a friend, a family member, or a group.  The TTP have done wonders for me - pushing negative thoughts out of my head as well as helping me keep positive thoughts in others.  Sometimes having someone to remind you of how far you have come is enough!
 
 
There will be crappy runs - GUARANTEED!  The important thing is to remember that tomorrow is another new day to tackle another run.  It is 80% mental and we all hope that our legs give out before out mind does!!!!
 
Share your mantra with me!
Does anyone have other ways to get over the negative talk?


8 comments:

  1. My “keep moving“ song is inner ninja! Lol i dont have a mantra, but i think i should get one... i always give in to my negative thinking, and i really need to stop that!

    Oh, the summer i tree planted for irving, my manrta was “just keep swimming“ from Finding Nemo. Tree planting really sucked, and i wanted to quit... i‘d walk up and down the planting block repeating “just keep swimming“ all day.Maybe I‘ll use that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin....I think that is a great mantra...just keep swimming. :-)

      Delete
  2. I definitely have a mantra... I feel like it changes though-sometimes it's more " I can do hard things" and other times it's just "pump your arms"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the "pump your arms" when I am going up a hill....whether it's a mountain or a molehill!

      Thank for stopping by and saying 'Hi"!

      Delete
  3. My favorites mantras are, "Relentless forward progress" and "I'm so lucky I get to do this". I've really been practicing positive thinking. You're right; it makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's hard to banish those negative ones...but so worth it! We are always harder on ourselves than others would ever think of being.

      Delete
  4. Running is such a physical feat, but in a marathon cycle the biggest muscle I train is my Brain. I read about mental strategies to overcome self-doubt and consuming negative thoughts during training and/or a race. It really works and boosts confidence to know that you are mentally, as well as physically, prepared. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you have some great mantras that you replay in your mind. I also know that you use music as a great motivator as well. :-)

      Delete