Thursday 6 September 2018

2018 Cobequid 5k Recap

This was a last minute race on my schedule.  Online registration closed earlier than I expected I have to admit there wasn't much information on the race site to indicate if there was registration the morning of the race.  For me....the more information that is on facebook and/or race website, the less I have to bug the race director who already has enough on their mind days out from the race.  That being said...I should have made my mind up earlier.

Getting to the race was no problem with lots of parking and signage to let folks know where to go.  We have had unseasonable high humidity this summer, and stepping out of the car to 13 degrees was a chilly start.  I contemplated even wearing a long sleeve shirt (glad I didn't).

We lined up at the start line and were off right on time.
Because the run is on a trail, there is a bit of a bottleneck at the beginning but it did clear out quickly allowing me to fall into my pace.  The picture below was taken at about 1.5k into the run.
Note that I am still smiling

I was able to keep my pace fairly consistent, hitting the turn around point at a pace of about 5.28.  Heading back, my legs started to yell at me at about 3.5k.  I was pushing my pace and did not want to stop to walk...I kept repeating my mantra that 'this pain is temporary'!
More of a grimace than a smile
I wanted to get in under 27 minutes....I saw the clock (it's a long finish line) and I was watching the time count down 26.30, 26.35 etc...I sprinted with everything I had left!   My chip time ended being 26.45...giving me 3rd in my age class.  Yahoo!
Interesting enough, a facebook memory popped up the next day which showed that 2 years ago, I ran this race and came in at about the exact same time.  It has taken me 2 years to get back to where I was before my double tibia stress fractures.  I'm not going to lie, I still get worried if I feel an odd tweak when running and probably pull back more than I need to but there is no way I want to go through that again.

Next up is Maritime Race Weekend.  I am doing the 5k sunset, and 5k sunrise this year.  Always a great time with fantastic scenery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment