Wednesday 21 August 2013

Conquering Fears at OnTree

Happy Hump Day Everyone!!! 

Today was another day to cross an item off my summer bucket list.  I kind of got to cross 2 items off actually.  I had zip-lining and OnTree/TreeGo on the same list. 

Gotta download directions.
 I met J at the carpool parking lot and an hour later we arrived at OnTree located at Ski Martock in the valley.  It was a very warm day and I was glad I had packed some frozen water (and a small picnic).  We got suited up, received our training lesson, and were told to go have fun!  You are allotted 3 hours of climbing time for a price of $34.50.
Such a sexy look.  LOL
Course #1 looked too easy (it was the beginner child course), so we jumped to course #2.  Let me just say now that the courses do not go up in difficulty with the increasing numbers.  So back to course #2...lets have a few pictures. :-)



Just look at my face...LOL...that was my fist time on a zip-line that was longer than 8 feet.  I wasn't expecting how fast it went.  Then we decided we would venture to course #8.  The description read medium/difficult with 8 different platforms.  I'll try anything!
Not bad so far.
 
I did not have any pictures of the really hard section of this course.  My forearms were so sore from the platform before this one that I wasn't sure I'd get across.

 
 
After this little section, the course finished with 2 great zip-lining sections.  Then we were off to an easy course...thank god.  Course #5 included sliding across a line on a snowboard, then walking like a trapeze artist, and of course 2 more zip-lines.  J decided to flip upside down on one of them and came in hard against the tree.  I'm actually surprised with the force that you hit the landing after the zip-line! 
 
Next we moved to course #6 where the description said 'Difficult'.  Not medium/difficult like course #8, but simply Difficult. A facebook friend (JC) warned me that she had a near panic attack on this course but god help me...we decided to attempt it.  I got through the first 3 platforms without much trouble...then the 4th platform appeared.  I'm not going to joke...it was f'ing hard for me.  I got stuck in the middle, my guide lines were wrapped around one of the swings one way, I had to go the other way, and I just kept spinning.  My panic started.  My arms were getting really tired from hanging onto the guide wire and I just wanted to give up.  Now let me say, at no time was I in danger, I was fully supported by my safety lines.  I could have just hung there...but it was the concept of being up high and not rationally thinking.  I quickly chickened out, hooked my zip-line mechanism onto the guide wire and pulled myself towards the finish platform.  I was shaking....I didn't even wait for J to finish as I hooked into the zip-line and got to the ground quickly.  My arms were exhausted!!!!
 
Here is J's ending to the day.
So we completed courses #2, 8, 5, and 6.  Course #4 is actually the hardest and you have to complete #6 and #8 before they allow you to attempt it.  Maybe on another day we will go and complete 7, 9, and 10.
 
So what did I learn today???  I learnt that what I thought would be my biggest fear (the height) wasn't actually my biggest fear and didn't really bother me at all.  What was my biggest fear?  Not being able to finish and feeling like a wimp!  And I guess that is really the essence of setting a goal...knowing that there is a chance that we will not finish it.  Today I didn't finish course #6 like I wanted, but hey....I attempted it.  I could have easily said "No Way" and not even tried!  The point is...despite your fears...I think you should at least try...you'll be surprised at what you can accomplish when you set your mind to it!!!!
 
Oh...and the other thing I learned....Epson Salts will be my best friend tonight!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I would do that..........never! LOL.

    I'm betting you will be super sore tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...my forearms have never worked so hard!!! And you could do the Easy courses...I know you could!!!

      Delete
  2. Looks like so much fun! We have gift cards for treego, but I heard it wouldn't be a great idea for the preggo to go, so next summer we're going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found a youtube clip that said that TreeGo wasn't quite as hard and had more zipline action!! It was fun and challenging at the same time.

      Delete
  3. So Jealous. there's something similar to this about an hour from here. I have vacation first week of Sept. it's on my list!! Looks like you had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I have always wanted to try zip-lining! One day I will muster up the guts, it looks amazing! :-)

    ReplyDelete