Saturday 14 March 2015

Feeling Empowered!!!!

Today was the day that I have been waiting for!  Today I was going to check an item off my bucket list that I've been wanting to learn for a while now!!  I was going to learn how to shoot a hand gun!  Jacqueline over at Skinny Chick Blog would often post instagram shots of her shooting at a range...and I wanted to experience that.

After doing some research and recommendations from friends, I was off to Hunt Outdoors, an indoor range in a small town an hour away.  The staff were so welcoming...and calming...I mean I was like a little kid at Christmas.  The store front of the range housed hunting and fishing items as well as a ton of taxidermy.  I wanted the raccoon...he was seriously cute!  There was a sign that said 'no cell phones' so I didn't take any pics.

We loaded up on ear and eye protection and headed to the actual range.  A wonderfully nice gentlemen named Pat, a former RCMP member, guided me through my safety lesson.  He was very diligent about where my trigger finger should be placed, how to fill the mag, and clip it in to the handgun.  We were given 2 different guns; a 22 for me as it was my first time, and a 9mm for J who is used to shooting.
This was my 22 and the ammunition for it.
I have to say that as I was receiving my lesson, someone in another lane shot their gun...and I jumped.  Hearing it that close...and not on TV...is a HUGE difference!  Then it was my time to actually pick up the gun and shoot...eeeeek!  I was very apprehensive at first...I mean...this is a weapon...it can kill people...but as I got used to it, it became very empowering.  And as a type A personality, I started to become competitive with myself.  There are a couple videos and at the end I am shaking my head because I was disappointed with the results....my first time and I'm disappointed...LOL
J forced me to try the 9mm and I actually liked it better.
I was able to stay within the bulls-eye better.
It was an exhilarating experience to say the least.  In total, there were 100 rounds of 22 shot and 40 rounds of 9mm.  I wanted to be comfortable shooting, to know that I could control the power.  I feel so much better since this lesson.  Next time...and there will be a next time...I will know what to expect and can hopefully improve on my results today.  It's a HUGE stress reliever as well. I walked away having had a fantastic time and smiling from ear to ear.
My ear protection matches my jacket.  Here I am shooting the 22.
I have watched the video back at least 20 times and still can't believe I actually did this today.  Oh yea...the no cell phone rule?  That was only talking on it...you can take videos and pictures all you want!

If anyone has ever thought of wanting to try this, I highly recommend the Hunt Outdoors club in Truro, NS or find a local gun club that offers this type of service.  It is something that I will never forget!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment