Friday 29 August 2014

Drunken Lights & Chick Pea Salad Sandwich

It's FRIDAY and it's a long weekend!  That would mean so much more to me if I wasn't unemployed!!  Fingers crossed for an interview and job offer next week!!  In the mean time, I headed to the city waterfront for an easy 5k run this morning.  I woke up to chilly weather...yes...chilly and decided to  wear capri pants to run in.  We have another hurricane moving up the cost which caused for a breezy run.  Check out these 'drunken' lamp posts.  YES...they are actually called drunken lamp posts.
After the run, I decided to climb the 'wave' statue that is along the waterfront...my first time ever....and I barely made it up!
Sliding down was even more fun!
Last night I tried a new recipe from the "Oh How She Glows" cookbook...Chick Pea Salad Sandwich!  I was undecided about this recipe as I do not like hummus and find the peas leave a 'pasty' feel in my mouth.  I have to say....this was excellent!!!  The book claims that it has the same consistency as a chicken salad sandwich recipe and I have to agree that it does.
I stole this pic from the cookbook
Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup finely chopped dill pickle (I just used relish)
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (I used greek yogurt)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp mustard
2 tsp fresh dill
1.5 - 3 tsp lemon juice to taste
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Mash chickpeas with a potato masher until flake like.
2.  Add all other ingredients and mix.
3.  Service on toasted bread, on crackers, in a tortilla or lettuce wrap

I paired this with a vegetable soup for a hearty filling supper!  I have enough left over for another sandwich or two today.  Will add this to my list of 'successes'.

I hope everyone has a great long weekend...I have no idea where the summer has gone.  Here is to chilly nights and warm days with that perfect 'crisp' to the air!!!

7 comments:

  1. Haaa! Guess what I'm eating right now? I just make the salad and throw it in my vegetable salad, I love it! Decent cookbook, this morning I had the pumpkin smoothie. Very good. Good luck on the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered how the pumpkin puree would taste in a smoothie! Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. OMG those lampposts are sooo cool!! I love when everyday things can be made in an artistic way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The description on the board actually says...one is passed out, one is looking over the other in concern, and the final one is getting sick over the wharf. LOL

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the interview!!! I am also loving this cooler air :) I am so done with the humidity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Courteney, You still on for the Rum Runner next week? Drop me an email @ brad.bishop@ns.sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete