I reached out to the Tundra Pounders and another running group I belong to (Lakeshore Runners) and asked them to finish this sentence:
Something I never knew before I tried running was.......
Some of the answers had me smiling, some of them had me tearing up....here I share just a snapshot of the many answers I got back!!!
- That I'd become addicted
- That I'd learn the true meaning of love/hate
- That going downhill is harder than going uphill
- The thrill of finding your inner strength when you least expect it, when you think you will have to stop, and then with a single positive thought/inspiration it ignites a flame and you are back in the fight.
- First or last, it is the same finish line.
- That I would come to love the feeling of exhaustion
- That I would love the feeling of accomplishment and personal strength of the finish line.
- Simply: It was a missing piece in my life
- How you can find peace in your head
- That I don't want to do it, but when I am out there, I love it!
- That I can do it!
- It can be an actual craving
- What my mind and body are capable of.
- How many great friendships I would make
- That no matter your ability or your distance, you are always encouraged
- How therapeutic it can be...the best medicine
- That losing toe nails can be a badge of honor...and take forever to grow back.
- How much fun it is to run with other people than by oneself...it is motivating.
- That training for long races would actually make me more confident going into labour.
What have each of you learned that you didn't know before????