Tuesday 31 December 2013

Review of 2013

Here are some of my memories that stood out in 2013...some good...some not so good!

I guess there aren't any significant events in Jan-March.  I should try and change that in 2014 and ensure that I do something memorable each month!!!

April 2013 - my bestie Heather runs in the Boston Marathon (good!)...I find out that bombs have gone off at the finish line and I can't get in contact with her or her husband for a bit (bad!).  Luckily, everyone from NS returns unharmed (good!).  You can catch Heather's recap of the marathon here.
Heather, myself, and Matt at the Boston Memorial Run
May 2013 - I decide to sign up for the Bluenose 5k at the last minute.  It was freezing but I realized I really enjoyed the course. 

June 2013 - Soul Sisters 5k.  This race was so much fun despite having Tropical Storm Andrea hitting Nova Scotia during the day!  I mean who doesn't love chocolate stations and having firemen giving out hugs!!!  Heather and I also did back to back 5k races at the end of the month in the pouring rain.  Despite the conditions, there were lots of laughs!!!
And yes...we dressed a like at a lot of our races.
July 2013 - Ran in my first 8k race.  The Liverpool 8k Privateer Road Race will be a repeat on my schedule.  It was a beautiful route and the first (and only) time that I was forced to run in my sports bra only!   Thankfully there were no pictures of that!

August 2013 - no races this month.  This was the month that I had to make the hard decision not to continue to train for my first 1/2 marathon. (bad).  I had to change the focus of my running and worked on the shorter 5k distance.  Heather and I were 'inked' with a symbol of our running passion.

September 2013 - Maritime Race Weekend - once again a Tropical Storm descended on Nova Scotia the weekend of the race.  Despite this, I ran my personal best 5k time of 27.13 (how the heck did I do that?)

October 2013 - Valley Harvest Race - I chose to do the 5k.  It was a bad race for me for numerous reasons but it was a great race for many others...and that made it a fun time.  Oh yes...and a bird pooped on me.  This is also the month that my 4-legged baby girl Jenny passed away.  I think of her every day knowing she is running in some big farm field having a blast.  Miss you baby girl!!! 
 This is also the month that I created the facebook group "Timberlea Tundra Pounders" and we had our first run.  Who knew that such a simple post would have such an effect on a community and to me.

November 2013 - The Lucky 7 Relay Race.  It was a bit chilly but loved the costumes and the route.  Hope to be able to do this next year as well.


December 2013 - The Tundra Pounders run their first race together with many of the group joining.  It was so much fun!
It is also the First Annual BLT Santa Shuffle for the Kids.  The group had a blast holding this little run for the kids and having Santa on hand to run and take pictures.  Next year planning has already begun!

It was an eventful year in terms of running for me.  It was the first year that I was a bit more consistent with my training and races.  It felt good to have this consistency and I hope that I can continue this into 2014.

What stood out for you in 2013?  Do you have top 5???

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I've been thinking about this today... I'll have to go through my posts and photos and make a recap post!

    I hope 2014 is a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2014 will be great, I just know it!
    We've sure had some rainy races together this year! LOL. Great job on your 5k PR!!!
    Poor Jenny :(

    Have an awesome New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, I have missed you! Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sad I didn't find your blog until the end of the year, but at least I know I'll be starting 2014 right by following you :o) Congrats on a great growing year! 2014 is going to be good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome races! Great pics...I had some good pics from races too...hoping to get stronger this year. maybe lose more weight, and just be ok with being a slow but persistent runner. Getting out there feels good, so i need to be less critical of my efforts (specifically on how "fast" I am! And...hoping one day to come out to your coast to run, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina,
      You would love running out here...but only in the summer/fall...lol...don't come in the winter. Being slow is not a bad thing girl....be proud that you are out there!!!

      Delete