Monday, 4 August 2014

A Shore Thing 10k Race Recap was an early morning today!!  My alarm went off at 5:30 but in true race day fashion I was awake before that.  My ride arrived at 6:10am and we were off as the race was about 45 minutes away.  I should mention that when I woke early this morning, I checked the weather on my phone and saw this....
I was like "What the ???...a tropical way I'm running in THAT!"  Looking closer, it's actually for Wednesday.  Phew!!!  Because we got there early, a friend was able to tape my foot and I applied my 2nd skin.
I'm fighting a bit of heel pain after a run so
taped to see if it helped 
I wasn't sure how I'd run this race.  In May, I was able to hit a PB at 58.00 minutes on a hilly course so I thought I might be able to hit another PB today knowing that I've been doing some training.  I set my garmin's virtual pace at 5.40/km which would give me a bit of room should I need it. 

The run was on the old railway which meant a fairly flat course.  What I wasn't ready for was that this trail wasn't as well packed down as the BLT trail that I am used to.  My footing didn't grab as much and was slightly time I'll be wearing trail shoes for this run!  This mentally challenged me right from the start as I knew my push off wasn't going to be as strong.  At first, I was running around the puddles but quickly said 'screw that' and just ran through.  I don't know what happened, maybe it was the faster pace, but at kilometer #6 I started to die.  I had to walk about 30 seconds for a side stitch and I wanted to give up so bad.  I mean, I was talking negative smack inside my head about how I sucked!!!  BAD COURTENEY!!  When I started to run again, the side stitch disappeared and I was able to keep my pace.  I watched those kilometers tick away on my garmin and with 2 kilometers left, I picked the pace up a bit, and finally pushed the final 500 meters.  This one was pure mental as I was saying the dreaded word can't more than once.  Usually I can muster a smile for the finish line photos, but not today.  I saw the camera and I was scowling I think. 

Not the face of a happy runner!
The final result???  A PB by well over 1 minute.

One thing I did notice was that there weren't any kilometer markers on the course.  The race organizer is super organized, and a runner herself, so this surprised me.  I was chatting with her after, and she mentioned that only 3 of the 12 volunteers showed up this morning.  What the heck?  Races depend on volunteers...and that means rain or shine one is going to melt in the rain!

Such a cute medal for finishing.
This was a well organized race, with about 200 participants.  Unfortunately the race competed with another race in Dartmouth at the same time which may have decreased their numbers. I think the race will draw more runners in future years if run on a different date.  A great job to the organizer and volunteers (who showed up) to a great race in only it's 2nd year!


  1. Congrats on an amazing PR!! Way to overcome and stay strong!

  2. You have busted out another PB....look what that consistent training is doing for you! Way to go! I can totally see the hurt in your face, but also the determination. ;)

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Congrats on your pb! Came across you blog and started reading since you're a fellow canadian east coast runner! I'm from NB :)