Sunday 21 April 2013

First Race - Complete!

Yesterday was the first race of the season.  Doctor's Without Borders in Point Pleasant Park.  My original plan was to go and cheer on my friend Erin of http://swiftfoxpei.blogspot.ca/ as this was her first official 10k race.
Erin and I at the starting mark.
 Then I thought....well if I'm just standing there....I might as well do something too. :-)  I signed up for the 3k knowing that my knees/IT bands probably weren't up for the 5k yet.  All I can say is the weather SUCKED!  We had heavy mist and 70km winds....not condusive to running for sure.  I have to admit I was a little nervous at the start given that I haven't run in a 'race' since August. 

Luckily the rain held off and we started.  Erin and I chatted a bit in the beginning and she told me that holding my palms face up when I run up hills is supposed to help and to pump my arms as my legs will follow.  Heck....I'll try anything.  I needed it in Point Pleasant as you can't go 500m in this park without there being some kind of elevation gain.  Erin was so funny...she works with maps daily and we were joking about how she zoomed in on the course map and figured out the actual elevation changes.  The course was an 'out and back'....going all up hill the first half.  It was a slower race for me...but I was able to complete it without any knee pain...and pushed my last km.  Erin did amazing...she finished in 1:09 and that included a pee stop for her.  LOL  I can't wait to hear about her next race. When I got home I realized that I didn't have any ice packs to put on my knee...so I did the only thing I could....I went on pinterest where I had seen I could make homemade ones.  I was skeptical....but it worked.  Fill a ziplock back 1/2 - 3/4 full with dish detergent and freeze.  It stays colder longer than the store bought bags. 


 One thing about running a race, it sure does get me motivated to do my stretches and strengthening exercises.  Time to get back to the popcycle sticks.


Monday night is the 30min run in Point Pleasant for Boston.  I bought a new blue race shirt and will paint my nails a Boston blue as well.  I did my toes last night.  Over 450 people are 'going' according to facebook so I can only imagine the level of energy that will be present.  The weather is calling for sunny and +9...perfect weather for running in the park.
 
I think today will be a cross training day...a bike ride on the trail...loosen up the quads and enjoy a sunny day.  I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy our spring like weather as well!  Happy Spring!!

1 comment:

  1. I wondered about those ice packs! I'll have to make one. I'm hoping to pull my bike out today, and see what needs to be done to it to get it ready to use. I'm glad your knees were ok! Thanks for coming out!

    ReplyDelete