Here is a great resource for other individuals thinking of running their own race. http://www.runnovascotia.ca/Downloads/RaceDirectors_Guide.pdf
It's time consuming and a lot of little details...and not easy (at least the first year)!
- What will your route be? Make sure to get approval from any committee's / towns for the race route. You may need special permits if you are using main roads or groomed trails.
- Get quotes for event insurance - this is more expensive than I realized.
- Start a budget - you are going to need to know how much to charge for race registration.
- Set up a registration site...there are a couple different sites that will assist you in this task such as a local chip timing company, your local Running Room, or www.raceroster.com
- You need to decide if you are going to have medals and/or tshirts...or maybe neither. If you are going to have them....then what design are you going to use? How much are they going to cost? What will your cut-off be to ensure that you order enough? Medals are more expensive than you think!!
- Is the race going to be timed? If so...what method will you use for timing? Popcicle sticks or chip timing?
- How are you going to control traffic? You may need to contact local authorities for approval and their help.
- Will you have a post race reception? What will you have? How are you going to finance it....donations or purchase?
- Water stops? Where? How many?
- You need volunteers....start asking early!
- Race Bibs and safety pins! You may be able to get bibs from your local running room or www.bibnumbers.com.
- Race kit pick up...where? when?
- First Aid?
- Mileage markers?
- Do you need a facility for racekit pickup and reception or can you hold it outdoors? If outdoors, do you need tents in case it rains?
- Do you need port-a-potties?
- Depending on the distance of the race....do you need a bike lead or pace bunnies?
- What about a finishing arch?
- What are you going to put in the race kits? It took Heather and I 2 hours to pull together 115 kits. In my kits I had dental floss (from the local dentist), jube jube candies, a button, and a bunch of coupons from local businesses.
Be prepared that if you cap the race, people will email and call you right up until race day to see if they can get in. And something is bound to be forgotten or go wrong...with so many little details...it's inevitable. Just go with it...the race will still go on!
You can plan, plan, and plan some more but if mother nature decides not to cooperate...well...there is nothing you can do about that!! I'm already making notes for next year and thinking about what to keep the same and what to change. Good luck in your own race/run....it is a rewarding experience!