Monday 21 August 2017

Navy 5k Recap

Holy Humid Batman!!!  Over the last few weeks, I haven't done any running.  I did a 5k two weeks ago on uneven turf and it seemed to have tweaked my stress fracture a bit.  Given that, and the fact that I have the Maritime Race Weekend twosome next month, I decided to downgrade to the 5k.  This year, the race offered an added bit of swag in a drinking glass if you did a run at Epic.  Yay to more swag!!!
Jillian and I went early enough to do our prerace self and stretches before lining up.  In past years, the race went counter clockwise, which meant a long slow incline for about 2k, before switching to more of a decline to the finish.  This year, and a few in the past, had the route going in the opposite direction.  This meant a bit of a bottle neck at the beginning as there are a few corner turns right at the start that hold people up.  I'm actually not sure which way is better.  I do know that I didn't like seeing the finish line as long as I did.  I like not seeing it until the very end...LOL.
Prerace selfie
I honestly didn't look at my garmin for 90% of the race, not until I felt a side stitch and wondered how it was affecting me, as I knew I had to slow down to make it go away.  I was surprised to see 5.25 when I looked down.  Other than that, I ran by feel.  It was humid....really humid.  I would have loved to have had a light sprinkle of rain....and I never say that. 
 
There were volunteers and police along the route, 2 water stops (more than other 5ks I have run), and some great post race food.  This year, the race had great finisher medals as well.  Past years, I've only received a t-shirt...and I shouldn't say only...as that is more than enough...but the medal was fantastic!! 
I was surprised by my finishing time given my lack of running.  Races always give me a renewed sense of commitment to my fitness.  It reminds me that I can push myself when I need to.  Had I not had the stitch, I know I could have crossed under 27.  I didn't think I'd see that this year given that I'm still building speed/distance from the stress fractures.
 
Another thing I like about races is seeing people that I haven't seen in a year because I haven't been racing.  People coming up and wishing you well, welcoming you back to the race scene, and inspiring you.  The running community is one of the most encouraging ones you can find!!
This was Marissa and Glen's first race ever!
Glen is my boss!
Everyone that saw me, asked if my new fur baby was on site....nope...not at this race.  But this face will be seen at races in the future if I can swing it...I want him to get used to being around others.
Watson...a sheepadoodle that will be 60-70lbs when full grown, and my new
running buddy once able.



No comments:

Post a Comment